Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dresden Lace Whitework Embroidery

For years I have been fascinated by Dresden Lace embroidery and wondered whether it is possible for me to do something similar. Most pulled work today is done on linen, but the Dresden Lace embroidered in the 18th Century is very fine and that is what I find so appealing. The embroidery itself is mostly counted work and usually includes a wide range of pulled work stitches combined with shadow work and a limited number of surface stitches.

Its taken a while to find suitable fabric - fabric that is made from a natural fibre, is fairly transparent and that has a high thread count.  With this fine fabric, I have found that a magnifier and a good light are a must to be able to see and count the threads.

The year is drawing to an end and on reflection I seem to have done rather little embroidery. I did however put a couple of small items on the CEG exhibition a couple of months ago. This Dresden Lace Lily was one of them. It's one of a number of similar pieces that I have been working on during the year.
 
1. Dresden Lace Lily embroidered by Lyn Warner.

The design was adapted from a sleeve ruffle which appears in Heather Toomer's book Embroidered with White. Another challenge was to find unusual stitches and stitches that vary in texture.
 

2. Dresden Lace Lily embroidered by Lyn Warner
The other piece I had on the exhibition was a small canvas work book cover and I'll post a photo of that soon. Now to get back to the pyjamas I'm making for my little grandsons - pyjamas with cars on them.

2 comments:

  1. This is really lovely work. I can see how fine the fabric is. The stitches are exquisite. I can see how you would have needed magnification and good light. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jillian. Yes that's what I really needed the good magnification for. The cotton muslin has about 66 threads to the inch. Thanks for visiting and all your nice comments!

      Delete